Sunday, March 6, 2011

Groceries

When you were 5 years old and went grocery shopping with your mom as soon as she wasn't looking you slipped something in the grocery cart, right?  Ever since I've been on my own and doing my own grocery shopping, I've splurged for the occasional "treat" that I always wanted when I was little.

Source : gushers                                                     Source : oreo


Well...tonight I got that little trick pulled on me.  Usually when I visit Matt in West Virginia I do a TON of grocery shopping.  When I got to WV this time I knew that this trip would be no different.  Matt had turned to eating out most meals (instead of going grocery shopping himself).  I'm talking no bread, milk, meat, snacks...it was pretty ugly.  I guess that is what happens when I go a month without coming to visit.  

Usually I do the grocery shopping on my own because I "smart shop" and it takes me a long time to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck (thanks mom)!  For those of you who know Matt, you understand when I say his attention span is not long enough to be able to stand my "smart" shopping techniques.  

Tonight was different and Matt opted to join me in the grocery excursion.  When we were almost done I was reviewing the  grocery list and I told Matt that if he wouldn't have been with me I was going to surprise him with a box of Cosmic Brownies (his favorite junk food).  I asked if he wanted to get a box?  His response..."they may have already made it into this cart on their own"...(I look at him, very confused)..."as we walked passed they fell in the cart and I didn't want to take them out".  I NEVER SAW THIS HAPPEN.  He pulled one over on me.  Shopping with Matt is, indeed, like shopping with a 5 year old.


In other news, I think my "smart shopping" paid off!  Our $235 bill came down to $185.  Making Matt take me to the local gas station this morning so I could get a paper and clip the Sunday coupons really paid off!  I hate grocery shopping without coupons, it's like wasting free money!

Along with grocery shopping today we also spent some time at the mall.  I got a suit for interviews this week, and we window shopped (Matt found a boat he wants).  We then went and looked at some apartment complexes that are pet friendly because if we decide to stay in West Virginia for another 1-2 years, I think we'll be wanting a pet by then!  The problem is...Matt and I want a pet...Matt does not want to move.  Stay tuned for how this plays out, it could be amusing.  This is where Matt currently lives, and we're so spoiled here with great amenities that leaving this complex would be hard!





1 comment:

  1. On the upside, you could hopefully find an apartment (or condo) that doesn't have such a scary steep incline (or drop, depending on if you're coming or going). I'm sure this would help those nerves of yours come your first true WV winter.

    ReplyDelete