Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wedding Wednesday

I'm starting to realize just how many people I know who are getting married in the next year.  I spared the extra expense of having a "wedding planner" and have done the leg work on my own.  I visited with or researched 3-5 vendors in most categories and really found the best bang for my buck and thought that maybe someone reading this would like to know about some vendors in the Richmond Area.

I'm glad because I know I'm getting quality vendors that I love and respect, and not just someone who was handed to me because they have some deal worked out with a planner.  Don't get me wrong, if I had the additional finances, I would not pass up the opportunity to have extra help.  I believe more in a wedding designer who can help you personalize every aspect of your big day over someone who mass produces the same wedding.  I want to take this Wedding Wednesday to introduce you to my vendors and tell you a little about why I chose them!

The D.J 


I chose Fantasia Sound in Richmond, VA.  Not only does this company have multiple D.Js that you can pick from based on your style, but I also have seen our D.J first hand and know that his style is just what I want for my wedding.  One of the best weddings that I ever went to was for two great friends of mine last July.  Their D.J played the best music during dinner and we all had so much fun dancing the night away.  Not only was I impressed with the quality, but the price was comparable to every other company I researched and the meeting with the on-staff wedding planner really put me at ease.  She was so detailed with setting up a day-of timeline for the photographer and reception venue so everyone knows what will happen when and the night can flow flawlessly.  I'm so excited to be working with my D.J and know they will make the night amazing.  I was also thrilled with the opportunity to make a "DO NOT PLAY" list and a "Request List".  Feel free to comment and write which songs you want to hear played at our wedding...I'll make sure the D.J knows!


The Florist


Pam at Over the Top Wedding truly is over the top.  She is one of the nicest ladies that you will ever meet.  I've seen her flowers in person and can't wait to see her work her magic at the ceremony and reception.  The best part about this florist is how willing she is to work with your budget.  You tell her what you want and how much you are able to spend, and she (may improvise a bit) but will make it work.  She is also there for you in every way on the day of your wedding.  She offers to set up the ceremony and put EVERYTHING together for you at the reception (even if it has nothing to do with the flowers).


The Photographer


Mike Topham is a well known photographer in the Richmond area.  While his prices are out of my price range, I found out (thanks Shannon) that he contracts out another professional photographer for almost half of the price.  Their pictures are nearly impossible to tell apart because the quality of both photographers is amazing.  We are using Terry Brown through Mike Topham and couldn't be more excited about having a great photographer that we trust to capture such an important day.  Also, Mike Topham's daughters do videography so we got a great deal booking through him and are excited to have his daughter videotape the ceremony and reception.



The Cake

 (look familiar, Shannon?  haha)

Neither Matt or I are big cake eaters so the cake was not a big to-do for us.  There is a lady that works at Longwood and makes cakes out of her home as a side business.  I can seriously say it is the first cake that I have ever thought was delicious and just the smell of it made my mouth water.  She doesn't use fondant (thank god, that stuff is nasty) so I'm excited to have a traditional, iced, simple cake that tastes wonderful!  Also by finding a personal baker you cut the cost almost in half as opposed to using someone with a big name or brand who can hike up their prices for a mediocre product.  Point in case...Cakes by Graham in Richmond, VA.  Just a fair warning...he is nice, charming, and everyone in Richmond knows him.  I personally know 2 brides who were excited to use him and paid the extra money because they thought he would be worth it.  When they got to their reception both of these particular brides were quite upset with the look of the cake, not what they expected at all.  Just be mindful that what you expect from your cake person is something they can actually deliver on!

Happy Wedding Planning!!!

3 comments:

  1. Here, Here to the Cakes by Graham statement. I just wish I could remember if I actually had given him a sample color of my Red. No Christmas bride wants a pink looking ribbon on a wedding cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby by Justin Bieber
    Everybody by the Backstreet Boys
    Black and Yellow by Wiz Khalifa to appease the newfound ghetto side of me

    you had to know i would comment on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping someone would! Also will definitely have some Justin Bieber at the wedding! haha

    ReplyDelete