Monday, May 2, 2011

Yet another day of compromises

I'm sensing a theme here.  When Matt moved to WV last year he really started from scratch.  While he asked my opinion on nearly everything he picked out for the apartment, I made a clear decision not to say if I did or did not like something, because this was his apartment for a full year and I wanted it to be everything that he liked.  From a basic standpoint of would this go in the living room/bedroom/kitchen I would say yes or no.

I feel like I have to preface this with the fact that Matt and I have two completely different tastes.  Most guys let their significant others decorate away and do whatever they want because heaven forbid them have an opinion on home decorating (how un-manly).  I'm lucky enough to be marrying someone that actually cares about what is put where and if that matches the rest of the room or not.  We have spent countless hours discussing pieces of furniture (when I find myself saying "make a decision already").  I think this stems back from furniture shopping with my mom (another long process).

Let me give you a little visual...

Matt's taste


My taste


Now everyone would agree that both kitchens are beautiful, and I would never complain about having either one, but seriously...here it is easy to tell where our styles are slightly different.

Here is the bedroom set that Matt picked out for his apartment last year.  


We have the bed and long dresser with mirror.  In the next few days we will be getting the tall dresser so that I can unpack all of my clothes!!! 

This is the furniture that will be in our bedroom for probably a good portion of our future, and I'm so excited to start blending our styles!  (However hard it may be...and yes, that picture over the bed...Matt found almost the exact same one and hung it over his bed too).  

This could get interesting.  As we were updating our wedding registry last night we hit a snag in the bedding aisle.  Matt picked out all of the dark comforters and I was going for all of the lights and pastels.  We found a few that we could compromise on...because I realized that my light pastel comforters may look a little weird with all dark wood furniture.

So far I've gotten my way on the dishes (simple, classic, chic white corelle), Matt's gotten his way  on all of the furniture in the apartment...and now we'll have to compromise on the decorating.  Yikes!

3 comments:

  1. light pastels look good with dark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I just tend to gravitate towards white or antique distressed furniture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, Phil and I literally got the same exact bed for Christmas. We have matched it with Ikea dressers that match perfectly!

    ReplyDelete