Friday, April 15, 2011

Student Worker Appreciation

I work (part time) in the Admissions office at Longwood University.  When I was an undergraduate here, I worked in Admissions as a student worker.  Today we have a student worker appreciation day and they ask that everyone in the office make something to bring in and share.

(Hence why I tell people that working here is my #1 battle in trying to lose weight - we do things like this all of the time and the food is delicious!)

For today's celebration I wanted so bad to try these cookies, that I just had to make them.

Lemon Drop Cookies 
I saw these over at The Girl who ate Everything.


2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter flavored shortening
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Finely chopped zest of one lemon
1 (6-oz) package lemon drops
Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
juice of two lemons, about 4-5 Tablespoons (I use less because I like my glaze a little thicker)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening, and eggs; add vanilla and lemon extract. Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Crush lemon drops in blender or food processor. Add lemon zest and crushed lemon drops. Roll into balls, flatten slightly with your hand, and bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet (You must use parchment here to avoid sticking).

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool slightly on pan for a couple of minutes. Make the  glaze by mixing powdered sugar with lemon juice to desired consistency. Brush glaze over cookie tops after cookies have cooled slightly. If the cookies are too hot the glaze will just melt off. Let cookies cool completely.

Makes 4 to 5 dozen cookies.

Here are some pictures from my baking experience...


Dough with the lemon zest about to be mixed in





They may not be pretty...but they're delicious!


All packaged and ready to be delivered!
Also I failed to mention that I made my delicious Banana Pudding - Yum!  

I took it to a friend who has been having terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days! 
(to quote one of my favorite books)




 She visited Matt and I in WV last summer and raved about this banana pudding 
(and may have been begging me to make it again since then) 
so I decided to surprise her!!!


Find the Paula Deen Recipe that I use for
Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding HERE

1 comment:

  1. Just saw this post. Again, you are the best!! I may have almost eaten the whole tray by myself...... Don't judge!

    ReplyDelete