Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reviews

I'm a bit behind the trend here, but I'm sure you all understand when I say that I've been busy recently.  The past few months I've told myself that once I got through my comprehensive exam, things would slow down and I could catch up on watching movies and reading books.

This past week I've seen two movies that I really wanted to.


Matt and I watched The Town last weekend and (although I couldn't stay up for the whole thing...shocking) Matt really liked it, and what I saw of it, I really liked too.  Lets just say that after a crazy week, starting a movie after 9pm on a Friday night has 0% chance of me staying awake for the whole thing.  I won't ruin it for you, but I would suggest it if you're looking for a thriller with a little love-story to keep the girls interested.


I had heard great things about Love and Other Drugs so when we had an overcast day, I went and rented it to watch by myself.  Pitiful, I know, the life of a lonely grad student.  Anyways, while I appreciated the great love story, humor, and being able to relate to the fact that the main character is in sales...I was not so appreciative of the constant in-your-face nudity.  Just not my thing.  I can understand the depth of love more from the video montage of pictures of the couple smiling while soft music plays in the background, then from seeing both parties naked and getting it on every other scene.  That aside, cute movie!


Moving on to books...

source: Celeb

I mentioned on here before that this is my current read.  I was trying to only read 25-30 pages a day so that I could make it last.  That went out the window the other day when I couldn't put it down and plowed through the last 150+ pages that I had left.  It is such a great book, I loved every minute of it and I cannot wait to start the second book in the series.  If you're looking for a little bit of info. on this book I'll give you just a tad!

It is set in the future where America has pretty much demolished itself.  There is a "Capitol" and 12 districts.  Each district is responsible for a particular industry.  The people of the districts are all different but the lack of food and quality of life is something that they all have in common.  A way for the Capitol to show its power is by holding the Hunger Games each year.  Every district must send a boy and girl "tribute" to the Capitol for the Hunger Games (so there are 24 tributes in all).  To make a long story short, the Hunger Games are held in an arena which is an environment controlled by the Gamemakers (powerful people from the Capitol) and the tributes are left to fight to the death.  A page-turner to say the least.  Also a great love story!

They are in the works of making this book in to a movie, which I'm so excited for.

On April 4, 2011 I read an article that lists these parts were offered to these actors...

The role of Peeta was offered to Josh Hutcherson.
(Good one...exactly how I pictured Peeta)


The role of Gale was offered to Liam Hemsworth.
(Holy cow...now I'm really looking forward to this movie!)


The leading role of Katniss was offered to Jennifer Lawrence.
(I pictured Katniss as a brunette...but still a good choice here.)


Now on to the book that I just finished in about 2 hours.  I'm giving it some time before diving in to the second book of the Hunger Games series.  Since it's Lent, I told myself that I was going to read the book Crazy Love about God's love for us.  Another Christian book that I've been wanting to read is Heaven is For Real.  Luckily my sister wanted to read it too.  She finished it the other day and passed it on to me.  Lent is a great period to spend some time with my faith, so this is my most recent read!  It's about a little boy who is taken into emergency surgery.  A few months after the surgery he starts saying things to his parents like "the hospital...that's where the angels sang to me" and things like that.  At four years old he describes things from the bible that he was never taught or could have any way of knowing.  This book kept me so interested that I couldn't put it down.  Definitely a must-read!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, the Hunger Games. How I love them. And a head's up - don't start the 2nd until you're ready to read straight through the 3rd. :) I'm excited to hear what you think of the last two! I loved them and I hate reading about/watching violence. Also - Crazy Love - I love that book! --Meg

    ReplyDelete